Save yourself from costly problems, by maintaining your pool this winter. BioGuard’s simple 3-step maintenance program will keep your balanced pool sparkling all through winter, and save you from any nasty surprises come summer.
Click here to download a printer friendly version of BioGuard_3-Step Winter Pool Maintenance Guide.
Always sanitise your pool water with chlorine and your filter with BioGuard Filter Brite. Filter Brite works by removing the grease, scale and oils that build up over time and can’t be easily removed through backwashing your sand filter or hosing your cartridge filter.
We recommend using BioGuard Burn Out Extreme once a month, to ensure clean, sparkling water. With the pump and filter running normally, slowly pour BioGuard Burn Out Extreme into the skimmer and wait for 15 minutes before continuing to Step 3.
Note: Your pool blanket/cover should be removed before adding BioGuard Burn Out Extreme and the pool left uncovered for at least 6 hours, to allow unwanted gases to escape.
To completely prevent algae growth in your pool, we recommend the monthly use of a fresh or salt-water algaecide.
Helpful tips to keep your pool sparkling this winter:
- Always follow label directions.
- Always run the pump and filter for a minimum of 4 hours per day. This ensures your pool water has been circulated and filtered, helping to prevent algae and bacteria growth.
- Ensure eyeball return fittings are angled downward at 45 degrees to reach dead spots.
- Scum lines that build up around the water line are a food source for bacteria and algae. Remove them with BioGuard Squeaky Clean.
- Debris should be removed from the pool and skimmer box on a regular basis. Pool surfaces should also be brushed regularly.
- If you have a salt pool, remove scale build-up from your salt cell with BioGuard Salt Cell Cleaner and adjust the salt chlorinator to reduce the level of chlorine output.
- To help keep the water clean and bacteria-free, use BioGuard Smarter Sticks or Pacific Blue Power Tabs to maintain a chlorine level of 1 to 2 ppm.
- Having correctly balanced pool water reduces scale, prolongs the life of your equipment and ensures all chemicals are working together effectively. Poorly balanced water wastes money and increases the risk of damage to pool surfaces and equipment. Always maintain a pH level of between 7.4 and 7.6.
- Have your pool water professionally tested by your local BioGuard Approved Retailer at least once a month during winter (and more often during summer).