If you live in a bushfire-prone area you might one day have to deal with the effects of ash and other debris in your pool.
The first step is to remove all debris and solid wastes as quickly as possible to avoid long-term damage.
Then add BioGuard® Burn Out Extreme oxidiser, followed by your preferred BioGuard algaecide, such as MSA Extreme, AlgiGuard or Polygard Concentrate. This is to protect your pool from bacterial and algae growth.
You then need to balance your water according to the Australian and New Zealand standards. If your water still appears dirty or cloudy it’s likely it has excessive contaminants from the fire. If this is the case, the following steps are recommended.
- Adjust the pH so it is between 7.2 and 7.4, then backwash the filter. If there was excessive organic contamination (ash, dust, leaves, burnt twigs etc.) use a double dose of BioGuard Burn Out Extreme. Then run the filter for at least 12 hours and backwash again if required.
- Clean the water line with BioGuard SPA Squeaky Clean. Replace any water lost due to backwashing. Take a sample of the water to your nearest BioGuard retailer for testing.
- If the water is still white and cloudy, add two BioGuard Super Clear Clarifying Tabs or use BioGuard Polysheen Plus at a rate of 30ml per 10,000 litres. Run the filter for a minimum of 12 hours.
- Clean the filter with BioGuard Filter Brite to remove any remaining contaminants.
- Control bacteria with a BioGuard sanitiser at 1.5 times the usual rate for at least two to three weeks.
- Aid recovery and help restore the water balance by using BioLab Pool Tonic to remove organic matter and clarify the water or BioGuard Lite to break down waste and improve sanitation.
- Maintain the balance of the water. A pool in this situation has undergone significant environmental and chemical changes, so you should check the balance every day and adjust when needed. Continue this recovery step until the balance remains stable.
- Ensure the chlorine residual is back to 1-3ppm before using the pool.
Remember that you can take a sample of your pool water to your BioGuard retailer for testing and to receive advice on the best products for your pool.